Monday, February 18, 2019

Using Used Gear

Posting a picture of the little cubby hole I use for riding here inside my house. I love riding on the trainer when the weather outside isn't comfy for training. Don't get me wrong, I can be as robust as the next guy but let's face it, one needs some decent gear to survive a decent ride in the cold weather. The reality is that I've got to put my money in other places than against great riding gear right now. Sooo, I enjoy riding indoors for now. Luckily I've got some workouts saved from my Ironman training days and so I just rely on those to start getting myself in shape for the triathlon season. It's not a smart trainer, that's for sure, so I'm not able to use the great new apps like Zwift. Alas, all I have is my Suunto Ambit which is no longer in production! That may be but it still gives me my HR.



So that brings us to my conundrum-the band on my Ambit is tearing again. I've owned the watch for over 5 years and this is the second time that the band is tearing. I haven't looked but could probably find a replacement. The last time I did that it cost me $60, that will buy me almost two simple Timex Ironman watches (which also have a band issue...but I digress). So I started looking to used gear available because I'd love to upgrade vice buying a new set of bands.

Where does everyone else shop for lightly used triathlon, multi-sport, or outdoor gear? I've used Backcountry which isn't a site for used gear but they've got good gear for all things outdoors at decent prices. But I then went to Geartrade who had a Garmin Fenix 3 for $216. I thought that was a pretty good price. They also had a Suunto Spartan Ultra for $231. I then read DC Rainmaker's review and steered clear. At the end of the day, I really just want something that's going to do its job when I swim, bike, or run and I honestly can't handle a device just inexplicably not working. Call me a snob but when a device was built for a single purpose, like tracking workouts, I really just want it to do that. That may be a gross oversimplification, I understand there are many complexities that go into building these computer watches, but when I have one that's over 5 years old and does the job solidly, I think I can place my expectations for the same on current gear.

Triathlon can be an expensive sport when you're buying new gear. So I'd encourage all to look to buy used if possible. I bought my original Ambit used and it's been a solid performer all these years. Heaven knows all us triathletes love to see the data when we swim, bike, and run, so let me know which ones you like best and why and how you got a bargain price on it.

Cheers-

DNF?!! No Way!

I'm all tatt'd up for the event! My simple set up at T1. Let me say I continue to love Xterra events and Ogden has got to b...